Bones, often associated with the quintessential image of a dog contentedly gnawing away, can actually pose serious risks to our furry friends. While they may seem like a natural treat, bones can lead to a range of health issues for dogs.

Firstly, bones can splinter, causing sharp fragments that can pierce the dog’s mouth, throat, or digestive tract. These splinters can lead to painful injuries, infections, or even blockages in the intestines, requiring costly and sometimes life-threatening surgery to remove.

Moreover, certain types of bones, particularly cooked bones, are more prone to splintering than others. Cooking alters the structure of the bone, making it more brittle and prone to breaking into sharp shards. This includes commonly given bones like chicken or turkey bones, which can be especially hazardous.

Additionally, bones can pose a choking hazard, particularly for smaller dogs or those prone to gulping their food. A bone that is too large or gets lodged in the throat can obstruct the airway, leading to a life-threatening emergency.

Even raw bones, often touted as safer alternatives, can carry risks. They may harbour harmful bacteria such as Salmonella or E. coli, which can cause severe gastrointestinal upset in dogs and potentially be transmitted to humans through handling or contact.

In conclusion, while the image of a dog happily chewing on a bone is a familiar one, it’s important for pet owners to understand the potential dangers associated with this practice. Instead of bones, consider safer chew alternatives such as specially designed dog toys or treats recommended by veterinarians to keep your furry friend happy and healthy.

Shopping Cart